Pages

November 11, 2008

The Reason for my APATHETIC attitude

Curiosity has come over me. I have been pondering the past couple of days as to why I have been so apathetic to the “making of History” this election. Some reasons maybe that I am surrounded by strong conservative ideals- lets be honest Utah will always be a strong-hold of the Republic or conservative way, my in-laws and Husband out number me, most of my friends now a days are Republican- except for Ali Jo, and I was too tired and felt too inadequate to always defend why I liked Obama. Well, all of my emotions that have been bottled up for the past couple of months decided to come out. Some might argue that my opinion isn’t grounded by fact or that I haven’t provided enough support to back my reason of why I am glad Obama is our President, but it has been silenced far too long. The main reason that I like Obama is that he gives this country HOPE. He was able to ignite the desire among Americans to become part of something great- the ability to elect a President of the United States- Leader of the Free World. Just the small defeat of getting more Americans involved- ones that normally wouldn’t care or take to the time- in the voting processed amazed me. Citizens all around America gathered together to watch the debate and thousands gathered at the White house to cheer in the NEW President Elect. I think the ability to unite Americans for a good cause shows us the power that a passionate President can have- of course millions could have been gathered to see McCain win office, but I doubt he was the one that all eyes were on. I am not going to try and deceive you into thinking that I was one of those Americans sitting eyes glued to the TV, but in my heart I was hoping for a man with a vision that could lead OUR nation. I am a hypocrite in the sense I didn’t take the time to participate in the making of history- I have no valid reason except doubt. I kept questioning myself, if I was being persuaded by false promises or misguided hope. PLUS the idea that my vote doesn’t count in such a Republican dominated state kept running through my mind. Well, though I didn’t play an active part in this election, I don’t want to continue sitting in silence. The bottom line is that Our Country is in for a hard LONG ride, period the end. There are no easy outs, concrete answers or solutions that can be passed to quickly fix the years of neglect and outrageous spending, but there is HOPE. There is always Hope. I lost that idea for a moment when I began to doubt my motives, but I have received it again, through the small example of this election and our NEW President. What greater ability than one person can have than to instill HOPE in the HEARTS of Americans? I know that there are many Americans, namely my husband and his brother, that believe that Obama’s radical ways are going to force the United States into bankruptcy, but it seems like this country has been heading in that direction long before Obama ran for office. America is a place of freedom and opportunity. We as Americans have built this false ideology that we can spend, acquire, and charge any item we may want at the moment, not really thinking about the consequences of our extreme habits. We as a people need to change- to change our mindsets and ACTIONS. We need to begin to realize that WE make up this country and thus it is our actions that propel ambitious LEADERS to run. Leaders that will be willing to undergo the harassment and scrutiny that accompanies the oval office and take on the many “kinks” that needs to be fixed. So I am finally expressing my bottled up feelings… I am so glad and honored that there are still Americans that believe in this government and take part in the Election. I am eager to see the changes that will be made to hopefully better our nation. Yet, I keep coming back to the thought, that WE the people need to make changes first. Yes, Obama is passionate... But it is his passion that won the hearts of Americans across the country. Yes, Republicans are scared (especially Business Owners and millionaires) that they will receive the raw end of the deal, when his term in office is over… But changes will need to be made to secure this country for our future posterity. After this past week, I realized that the American people want a quick fix, but they need HOPE and the willingness to sacrifice. Obama brings the ability to make change and inspire people to change as well… and I believe that is exactly what we need. The office of Commander in Chief and Leader of the Free World should rest on the shoulders of an individual that is determined, hard working, passionate, kind, a good speaker, poised, inspirational, and knowledgeable. And though some may disagree I believe with all my heart that Barack Obama possesses these characteristics and that is why I decided to stand up and voice my opinion…. I have hope in us as a people and our leader.
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Katy Lyn, you know the two of us don't exactly see eye to eye when it comes to politics. I remember in the 2004 election we lived together and had to stop talking to each other about it because it was causing tension :). That being said, THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST! I really appreciated hearing what you had to say. I like to think that I am well-enough informed that I am a conservative in my own right, not just because I live in a conservative state or because my parents are Republicans (and small business owners, which you mentioned). I won't lie and say I was too excited about Obama - but I feel the same way about hope. I have had my way in the white house for the last 8 years, and though I think President Bush is a great man, it hasn't turned out the way I would have liked. I can admit that we need change, though Obama's direction does make me a bit nervous. However, since he was elected last week I too have felt an overwhelming NEED for hope in America. I may not agree with most of what he has to say, but I HOPE that he is a decent enough man to do what he truly feels is best for the country. I HOPE he proves me wrong and does an excellent job in the White House - and he very well may.

    Thanks again, Katy. I loved reading what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for voicing your opinion in the face of so much adversity! You are right- we have hope.

    Stay true to yourself sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,
    I feel really bad if we have forced our views on you. You should always stand up for what you believe. I agree that we all need hope. But I feel like that is what the church does for me. It helps me see the future with a brighter view than the world does. I love you for who you are and hope that I well do a better job at showing you that. I am with you in that we each need to take care of our own and make the county what it should be.

    We love you.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on Katy. I voted for Obama, and I wish more people felt like you do. I researched his positions and agree with more of his policies than the policies of John McCain. And I think he has to right judgment and temperament to be our president during this crucial time. You are certainly not alone in your support of Barack Obama and the hope that he stands for--we just tend to stay kind of quiet. (A friend of mine was called a "bad Mormon" for voting for Obama. Ridiculous!) Almost 40% of this Republican state voted for him, so stay strong. If you ever want to talk politics--just call me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!Preach on sis! Your words give me chills. Thanks for sharing your HOPE for the people,our president, and your views on our future. I LOVE U!!!

    ReplyDelete