Pages

September 28, 2011

James turns GOLD

Happy 28th *GOLDEN* Birthday...
Turning 28 on the 28th of September
For the past few years since we have been married, James has always eluded to the fact that he didn't/doesn't want a whole lot of hoop-la for his big day. 
I have usually respected his wishes... casually giving small gifts and maybe going out to eat. 
Nothing too fancy. This year was different.
It was his golden birthday.
How could I just celebrate with mediocrity...
PLUS I found out by his sister Ashley and Grandma Smith
 that while growing up he really treasured having all of his 
*significant moments exactly on his birthday.
What?!? The whole time I just thought he was being Mr. Causal "don't fuss about me" James.
So with this new knowledge I gave myself the go ahead to do something different.
***Note: Birthday's growing up were always celebrated BIG in my family... sometimes a full week.

When I got home I questioned James about my new discovery...
He responded that he didn't care too much about presents and materialistic things, but felt it was important to have his special moments  exactly on his day of birth.
Hmmmm.... so the wheels started to turn.
  
We started the day with visiting Mr. P at work bringing with us lunch from the golden arch.
We also allowed Avery to pick out a few things for her daddy's present.
Her present mostly included games, play-duh, and candy... not a big surprise.
 

And then, after Mr. P got off work, it was my turn.
We had dinner, Homemade Mac and Cheese, and opened gifts.
My gift started as a treasure hunt-- to find golden nuggets (treasures) around town.
We started off late, and we aren't too familiar with Cedar so I had to help him with some of the clues.
He discovered all 12 "locations" (favorite memories) and collected the 16 pieces of gold. 28 total.
Then the last "clue" led him to our bedroom...
to our bed.

Don't worry this is a g-rated post. 
His treasure chest was hidden in the pillows. 
Inside the golden chest were 16 envelopes
 that correlated with the pieces of gold found earlier.
Each envelope held a special moment written by a loved.
I know Cheesy... 
but I wanted to share with him how much he is loved and respected by those around him.
He enjoyed reading each entry... while watching a little baseball in between. Classic James.
I am not going to post what was written, 
since I promised the "authors" the words would stay private.
But through all the kind words, I couldn't help but smile. 
This gift made me more appreciative of Mr. P and 
realize that he treats everyone with compassionate and kindness.
My purpose wasn't to personally get anything out of this gift idea...
only to express appreciation through loving thoughts and memories, 
but it didn't turn out that way.
Love you, sweetheart. 
Happy 28th to a loving husband, father, son, brother, and friend!!

**Special moments: Baptism, Priesthood organizations.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea. I wish I have thought of it. Just a side note, we celebrated big when he was little. Not big expensive gifts. Just things to make the birthday person feel special. We did their favorite breakfast, lunch and dinner. They didn't have to work on their birthday, no dishes, didn't have to make their bed. Favorite Sunday dinner with extended family. You did great. Good job. You to are perfect together. Love ya both more everyday.

    ReplyDelete