Pages

November 27, 2011

A {Blessing} for Jack

Our son, Jack Bryan Pendleton, was given a beautiful blessing by his father this past weekend.
We were surrounded by our loved ones at the home of Jack's namesake, his grandpa.
We decided that we wanted a more intimate setting for this special occasion...
Plus we wanted our loved ones near by to share in this experience.
Since everyone was in town for Thanksgiving and Grandma Smith's 80th birthday, 
we jumped at the opportunity.

The blessing was filled with promises of strength, health, and 
desire to do the will of his Heavenly Father.
 It also highlighted experiences that would be open to him such as serving a full time mission 
and to have the ability to overcome obstacles like his namesake.


 The men that surrounded our son during the blessing were daddy, Grandpa Bryan Pendleton, Grandpa Pendleton, Uncle Joseph, Uncle Jeff, Uncle Michael, our family friends Jon Itri and Mike Harper. There were also members of our family attending from the other side of the veil. The love that filled the room was overwhelming.
The past couple of weeks have had many challenges-- physical but mostly emotional for me.
Because of my human nature, I want to understand and "fix" everything.
I feel that there is a misconception that when we are given trials it is a 
punishment or consequence for not  following the right path.
 I personally have changed this mentality in the recent weeks.

Though some trials may come because of poor choices, 
I think the majority come to you for your own growth.
It is the chance to improve and refine yourself. 
To give yourself a chance to prove you CAN rise to the occasion 
and become stronger or more diligent in a specific area, with the help of our Savior.
Your Heavenly Father knows you... the you that you are now and the one that you can become.
And it hit me. I can't "fix" the many medical problems Jack has come to the earth with, 
but I can help lead and guide him to become the person his Heavenly Father has in store for him.
What a beautiful opportunity for me as his mother. I am so very grateful for him.

We, as a family and individually, have felt such an outpouring of love and compassion during this time.
There is also a sense of comfort... 
which is one of the greatest blessings during times of uncertainty and heartache.

Right now is our time of uncertainty for Jack's future,
but I have finally be able to fully embrace it with the knowledge that He is control.
Before, I still wanted to know exactly what to expect, how everything was going to play out, and what I needed to do to get a certain outcome... but then my desires and mindset changed.

"Be still and know that I am God".

I am merely His hands. He will mold Jack and myself into what He knows we need to be shaped.
 As long as we allow Him to... He will change us for the better.
I have finally chosen that path, which will lead to the greatest outcome and destination.


We are Godly beings here to have an earthly experience. With this experience, comes hills and valleys, ups and downs, happiness and sorrow, yet we are promised joy if we shall endure to the end. A big part of successfully enduring to the end is learning to find the good in the hard moments and being grateful for the experience that gives you growth. I am still learning this... yet today I can honestly say I am grateful for my journey thus far. I am grateful for my husband who is equally yoked with me, and accompanies me through these life experiences.

We will see what tomorrow holds for us... 
and we will do so holding hands looking heavenward.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. That was such an awesome post! Thanks for sharing your insights with us, I am learning so much from your and James' examples! I love the picture of Jack with all the men, he looks so cute and thanks for posting the picture with Mom and Dad it is a really good one of them and Jack!

    ReplyDelete